Sunday, July 8, 2007

The Fundo

After several weeks of vomiting, Jordan was not gaining weight. Doctors use a growth chart to track weight, height & head circumference. Jordan's doctor explained, where my child is on the growth chart is not as important, as long as there is steady growth and that his growth progress follows a curve. Jordan was dropping off the chart. We were told he was showing failure to thrive.
A surgery to stop the reflux was recommended & we went for the first consultation.

What this surgeon described was not what I had thought it would be. He spoke of an incision & wrapping his stomach around his esophagus. To be honest, I did not hear much after incision.
The procedure is called a Nissen Fundoplication. Because of the harshness of the description, I set out seeking a second opinion, a better way.

I was unable to find any other procedure to resolve the reflux, but I did find a surgeon who performs this procedure laparoscopic. Much less recovery time involved as well as less pain for Jordan. The surgery was performed July 20th, 2004. Jordan was 5 months old.

No comments: